Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day Encouragement

Last week, as we worshiped with The Village Church in Flower Mound, TX, Pastor Shea Sumlin spoke about dealing with "father issues" from a biblical perspective.  One particular point stuck with me that I would share with all dads as we get ready for our "day" tomorrow.  He suggested that there are three things our children need to hear from us often.
"I love you."
"I'm proud of you."
"You are good at this" (whatever the "this" is that is important for their lives).
I don't think he missed the mark when he mentioned that God the Father modeled this perfectly in his repeated pronouncements from heaven concerning Jesus.  The Father said what he said for our benefit, certainly, but we should remember that he also spoke for his son's encouragement in his ministry as well!
"This is my beloved Son" ("beloved"--I love him)
"in whom I am well pleased" (I am proud of him--or even "that's my boy")
"listen to Him" (Why should we listen to him?  Because he's good at saying what we need to hear!) 
Fathers, enjoy your special day, but fulfill your special calling.  Let your kids hear these words that build them up today, and regularly from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment