Sunday, January 20, 2013

Resources on Racial Reconciliation

Since I am  no expert, but have just staked out some ground regarding the challenge and choice to pursue racial reconciliation, I figured I better let everyone know about resources that I believe are helpful in this discussion.  I'm listing  a few books, articles, and links, below.  In the Amazon tool to the right, I will seek to put links to the books so that you can get them if you wish.  I have also made book titles links to other sites where they are available.  I'm not saying every line of every book or article or sermon is something I might say or endorse, but these are very good resources to get us thinking, and hopefully moving.

Books:
Bloodlines: Race, Cross, and the Christianby John Piper (you can also order the book or get a free PDF file for download here)

One Race, One Blood, by Charles Ware and Ken Ham, available through Answers in Genesis.

A Credible Witness, by Brenda Salter NcNeil (highly recommended by Dr. Jeff Cook)

One, but Not the Same: God's Diverse Kingdom Come Through Race, Class, and Gender, by Chris Williamson (Pastor Williamson is a Trustee at CU)

Prejudice and the People of God, by A. Charles Ware (president of Crossroads Bible College in Indianapolis, Indiana)

More than Equals, Racial Healing for the Sake of the Gospel, by Spencer Perkins and Chris Rice (these men have worked to establish a multi-racial church, and Perkins' father is John Perkins, a legendary Christian leader in civil rights).

The Sneetches and Other Stories, by Dr. Seuss.  Yes, this is a children's book that deals with differences, and was recommended by Jessica Dyson on behalf of her father, and my friend, Greg Dyson.

Web resources:
John Piper, "I Was a Racist."  This excerpt from his book, Bloodlines, (listed above) tells of Piper's own story in the journey from boyhood in the racially segregated South to a passion for racial reconciliation.

"Every Race to Reign and Worship," audio sermon by John Piper.

Desiring God Ministries has a number of resources from the Racial Harmony Sunday sermons preached by John Piper.

"What Carlton Banks, Ice Cube, and Denzel Washington Teach Us About Hiring," by Bryan Loritts.  I include this as a helpful reflection on what this process needs to consider, especially in church leadership.

"Letter from Birmingham Jail" by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  If you have never read this, you should.  If you are a pastor, it will especially prick the conscience as you ask yourself, "Where would I have been in 1963?"  I know where my church, in the North, was in 1968, when Dr. King was shot, and it was not a God-honoring stance.

If you have other good resources to recommend, you can let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment